The Three Types of Contaminated Water
There are three types of contaminated water that can be present after a water loss.
Category 1 "Clear Water"
A category 1 loss is considered "clear water." This type of loss normally occurs due to a pipe bursting or a hose coming loose on an appliance. This is normally the easiest type of water loss to clean up because there are fewer health hazards than other categories.
Category 2 "Grey Water"
A category 2 loss is considered "Grey Water." This is water that is slightly contaminated due to either the source of the water or neglect of a water loss in a home. For example a water loss that started as a category 1 but was left for a long period time becomes a category 2 due to contamination. Sources that can cause category 2 losses include toilet or washing machine overflows.
Category 3 "Black Water"
A category 3 loss is considered "Black Water." This is the most hazardous of the three types of water losses. Category 3 losses normally occur due to natural disasters or sewage damage. This water contains toxic materials and pathogens that are harmful to your health.
No matter what category the loss is, it's best to let a qualified professional make sure that it is cleaned and dried properly so that mold does not form. If your home suffers a water loss be sure to give SERVPRO of Avery and Watauga Counties a call to ensure that it's like "it never even happened."
What to do if a Pipe Bursts
With winter quickly approaching, many pipes are going to freeze and burst. SERVPRO of Avery and Watauga Counties is here to help prepare you to be ready for anything.
– Turn off the water supply – Many people don’t know where their home’s stopcock, or stoptap is it’s also called, is located (it’s often under the kitchen sink). Turning it off is the first thing you need to do if you detect a frozen pipe as it will minimize any water damage if a pipe does burst.
– Protect your possessions – Move any possessions such as furniture or clothing which are near frozen pipes in case the pipes burst. Cover your electricity mains box if the pipe is close as you don’t want water anywhere near it!
– Find the frozen pipe – Check the flow of water in areas like the bathroom, kitchen, shower rooms and downstairs toilets. Zero, or very little flow, indicates you’re near the frozen area of piping. Feel along pipes to locate frozen areas and look for bulging.
– Thaw out the pipe – Use a hairdryer or hot water bottle to help thaw out the pipe, never use a blowtorch or anything similar. Open any taps nearest to the frozen pipe as this will let the water which melts flow out.
Once everything is under control, be sure to give SERVPRO of Avery and Watauga a call so we can make it "like it never even happened."
How to Prepare Your Home for Winter
Here's a list of 5 ways to prepare your home for winter this year!
Tune Up your Heating System
For $80-$100 a technician can come out and inspect your furnace or heat pump to make sure that everything is in working order. This can help prevent you from having a puff-back in your home this winter.
Reverse Your Ceiling Fans
If your ceiling fans have the option to reverse you should use it this winter. It'll push the warm air from your ceiling down into the rest of the house.
Inspect Your Roof
Before it gets too cold out climb up on your roof and give it a good look. Loose shingles could cause leaks from melting snow in the winter months.
Clean the Gutters
If you have a lot of debris in your gutters before the winter months it can cause water to back up into your house and damage roofing and trim. Make sure you clear them out before it gets too cold.
Turn Off Exterior Faucets
Undrained water in pipes can freeze and expand causing pipes to burst. The best place to start preventing this is by unhooking all water hoses and draining the faucets outside.
How Mold Can Affect Your Health
Mold growing where there was a leaky pipe in a wall.
No matter where you go, there is almost a guarantee that there is going to be some mold there. Mold can exist in the air or on surfaces due to there being excessive moisture.
Mold and Your Health
Exposure to mold can cause a variety of health effects or none at all depending on the person. For people who are sensitive to mold, it can cause:
- Nasal Stuffiness
- Throat Irritation
- Coughing or Wheezing
- Eye Irritation
- Skin Irritation
People with mold allergies or immune-compromised people may have more severe reactions such as infections.
In your home, you can control mold growth by:
- Controlling Humidity Levels
- Quickly Fixing Leaky Roofs and Pipes
- Thoroughly Cleaning and Drying After Flooding
- Ventilating Laundry, Cooking, and Storage Areas
If mold is growing in your home you need to clean up the mold and fix the moisture problem as soon as possible. Mold can be removed from hard surfaces with commercial products, soap and water, or bleach solution (if using a bleach solution, do not mix with ammonia).
How Fast Can Mold Spread? 48 Hours! Does Your Boone Home Have A Mold Problem?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – [268-2236] SERVPRO of AVERY & WATAUGA Counties
Restoring Boone's Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Flood Zones and runoff can be very dangerous
Flooding and water damage events at Boone NC commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Avery & Watauga Counties
SERVPRO of Avery & Watauga Counties specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Avery & Watauga County Fire Clean Up
Kitchen fires are known to ignite other dangerous flammable items (such as cleaning chemicals) kept stowed away in cabinets.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Avery & Watauga Counties will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 828-268-2236
Avery & Watauga Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Mountain Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
- Wet Smoke Residues – Result from smoldering fires with low heat. Residues are sticky, smeary and with pungent odors. Smoke webs can be difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke Residues – Result from fast burning fires at high temperatures. Residues are often dry, powdery, small, non-smeary smoke particles.
- Protein Residues – Virtually invisible residues that discolor paints and varnishes. Extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot – Furnace puff backs distribute fuel oil soot.
- Other Types of Residues – Tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher residues also need cleanup
Avery & Watauga Businesses Are You Prepared For An Emergency?
We believe the company that cares prior to the disaster will earn your trust.
The Emergency READY Profile Advantage
As many as 50% of businesses close down following a disaster, according to the latest research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. And knowing you are "Ready for whatever happens" speaks trust to your clients and employees that in the event your business is affected by a disaster, they don’t necessarily have to be.
By developing a Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
- A no cost assessment of your facility.
This means there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects. But it will save a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
This can help minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider.
You have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information.
Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are "Ready for whatever happens."
Many of the businesses in the High Country are prepared. Are you? Give me a call (828) 434-6328 ask for Brian at SERVPRO.
High Country Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Unhealthy Mold Population
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas. Mold can have a serious effect on your health if you are exposed to it for an extended period of time.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans. This helps prevent any further contamination of your home and air ducts.
- Contact SERVPRO of Avery, Watauga, Madison, Mitchell, Yancy Counties for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – [828-268-2236]